Monday 1 December 2008

Title: The Phantom Road..
----------------------------------------------

It was raining heavily. Lighting loomed in the sky. I was drenched to the bone. I ran to the nearest shelter I could find. I ran across a street to the 24-hour store. Since it was dark, I did not see a car on the road. Before I knew it, everything turned black.
-----------

I wondered where I was. I could hear sound of people talking. I slowly opened my eyes and adjusted to the light. I saw my parents crying beside the bed I was laying on.. Bed? I thought. I looked at my surroundings and realized that I was in the hospital. Mum.. I called out to my mother but she ignored me as if she could not hear me. Dad.. I called out to my father as well but the same thing happened. Why can't they hear me? I thought.

A doctor came into the room.

"Mr and Mrs. xxxxx you're daughter is in a coma.. I don't know how long it could stay like this.." the doctor said before leaving.

"Wait.. I'm in a coma? How could that be?" I said to myself.

"Didn't you know? You were ran over by a car... And they can't hear you by the way," someone said.

"Oh yea, I was trying to get to the 24-hour store." I remembered. Eh? Who said that?

"I said that." the person answered.

I turned to the other side of the bed and saw a girl around my age standing by the window.

"Who are you?" I asked her.

"I'm Nicole. Nice to meet you," she introduced herself.

"Err..I'm Alice. Nice to meet you too."

She looked familiar.There was something about her that wasn't right. An uncomfortable aura. But she could be a friend for the
ime being.

"So.. how do you know they can't hear me?" I asked.

"I've been through the same thing for the past 3 months. I'm in a coma too. Fell from the stairs," she said."Wanna go round the hospital?"

"Umm... sure, I guess," I answered. I stood up from the bed.

There was a chain on my leg? It was connecting me to my body. I was guessing this is what's keeping me breathing.I looked at Nicole's leg and she also has a chain but the weird thing is, it looked as if it was wielded together.
-----------

We walked around the hospital. Nicole told me where all the places are. We passed by one room but she didn't seem to notice it.

"What's that room for?" I asked pointing to the room we just passed.

"Oh, that one? No one really knows. It's been closed for a long time now," Nicole told me. I noticed her tone of voice changed a bit to a lower tone.

I decided to ignore it. We continued on until it was very late at night. I went back to my room. My parents were gone already but they left some flowers to the side table. I smiled because they cared for me.

I stood by the window looking out. I could see the area where I was ran over. Something was strange about that place. I shrugged the feeling off. I sighed. I wonder if we, 'souls', needed sleep or not. The weirdest thing is I wanted to go to sleep but I did not feel tired. I sat at the edge of the window and closed my eyes for a moment. I found myself drifting of to sleep.
----------

I woke up to the sunlight beaming through the windows. I squinted my eyes. I walked to my bed. When will I wake up from the coma? I asked myself. Suddenly a bunch of people came crashing through the door. My friends. It was good to see them.

"Don't worry guys, I'll wake up from the coma soon," I said.

That's when I saw one of the carrying a newspaper. She left it on the side table. My accident made the headlines. It read:

"Another Victim of The Phantom Road"

Another victim? Phantom Road? I read on.

"24 October 2008;Yesterday, another accident had occurred at the 'Phantom Road'. As expected there was no driver in the car. This cannot go on any more. The government will be installing cameras around the area to identify the mysterious culprit or known as the 'Phantom Driver' behind these accidents. All of the victims seems to be teenagers around the age of 15-18. It is said that all these accidents happened on rainy days. The victim had been to the hospital and is now in a coma......"

There was a picture of the accident. I looked at it and realized that there was something that was wrong with it. I analyzed the picture carefully. There was a blur image of a girl in the background. The picture was so familiar but I didn't know why it did. I had to figure it out soon.
----------

Today was Halloween and a week since I been friends with Nicole. I still don't really trust her. I've haven't seen her today. She suddenly disappeared. There was nothing to do in the hospital. Somehow there were only Nicole and me. There was no one like us.

My thoughts drifted until I decided to go to the scene of the accident because it might help me remember something. I left the hospital. It took about 15 minutes before I reached the road. I looked across the road. Suddenly, it hit me. Images flashed through my mind. I cursed. I ran back to the hospital.

I knew why Nicole looked familiar. She was there when I was hit. She was there when I brought to the hospital. She was the blur image of the girl in the newspapers. But worst of all, she was the 'Phantom Driver'.
----------

I reached the hospital. I needed to find Nicole. I walked passed the room which she told me that was never used. I stopped for the moment. I stared at the door. Without thinking I turned the door knob. The door opened. The room was cold. I entered. To my shock, it was the corpses' room. One of the chamber caught my eyes. It looked like Nicole. At that moment I was thinking that it couldn't be her. It must be someone else. I moved closer to it. I cursed. The tag read 'Nicole' and below read 'Time of Death: 31 October 1998'. She's been dead for 10 years. I ran out from the room seeing nurses and doctors running in one direction.

What was going on? Then, I saw my parents and friends running as well. I decided to follow them as well.
----------

We ended up on the roof. I heard a doctor trying to persuade a person not to jump. I could get through the crowd. I found a crate that I could stand on. I climbed on it. I looked at the person's face.

I widened my eyes. I looked at the chain on my leg. It was about to break off. Why was I standing on the edge of the building? The first thing that came to mind was.. 'Nicole'..

She looked at me and grinned. She mouth out at word to me saying "Goodbye..". She jumped and the chain broke off....

~THE END~

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home