Thursday 25 November 2010

I can literally swear I miss Singapore and everyone back there already. Oh right, you got it - this is a rant post by yours truly. Leading the most mundane life, even worst back home. I am here right now at an internet cafe, with nothing on mind except waiting for time to pass by.

Location currently - Pangkor. I doubt few have heard of this place. Its a 7hours bus ride till Sitiwan, then take a ferry of roughly 30mins before reaching the final destination. Yeah that's definitely going to cost me butt cramps for sure. And actually for one moment I had the thinking of I was going to have fun here at my gramp's place.

It kind of proved me wrong. For I spent yesterday and today doing nothing except sleep. No doubt about that. But luckily I brought a book to keep me entertained, and some movies stored inside my phone. Well, I came up with some reasons, both good and bad why you guys should visit Pangkor!

A sum up of this place - quiet and peaceful, outdated yet still in touch with technology. I've been here countless of times, for my gramps live here, an annual affair for my family. Its much much smaller in size, population compared to Singapore. 80% of the people here rides a motorcycle, 10% on bicycle, and 10% on cars.

Let me start with the pros side of this island (yes, its an island)

1. Totally no traffic lights, at all. Imagine, you just travel for less than 20mins from one end of the island to another! No need to stop and stare or whatever. Not like Singapore, travel less than 1minute, have to encounter a red light -.-

2. You ride with the wind. (Does not include visitors, only mainlanders) On a motorcycle with your head guard on, going against the wind with cool crisp air caressing your whole body. Sounds fantastic? Obviously is.

3. No age limit on when to get a driving license. In fact, you don't even need a driving license! As long as your parent agrees, you can learn how to ride a motorcycle regardless your age and size. Walau, awesome right? But beware of police of course.

4. Everyone knows everyone. Since it's a small island, you get to communicate with one another daily. Imagine going everywhere and recognising who they are, their profession, and getting discounts if we are the patrons for the night!

5. Move at a slower pace of life. People living here moves at the pace of a snail daily, without any worries, opening and closing their shops whenever they like. Doing whatever they feel like doing. No competition in this island in fact, hardly any.

6. No barriers. You see, buildings at Singapore tend to block the carefree wind from reaching us. At pangkor, all structures are no taller than 2 levels. Hence, you can feel the wind wherever you are!

And now comes the cons

1. Not in date with technology. In every household, you can't find a computer. Unless they can really spare that extra amount of money to buy it. No windows xp, no ps3. iPhone4? Nope, dont even talk about iphone 3!

2. No fast-food restaurants. KFC, Mac Donald, Pizza Hut, have been with me for as long as I can remember. Yet at Pangkor, you can't find any of them - I am dead serious. All restaurants here are all chinese/malay food.

3. Separated races. All of the chinese live in side A of Pangkor, while the malays live in side B of pangkor. Touch wood, but I can't imagine if race riots broke out! But nah, it won't happen, the relations between races are in fact well to do.

4. No ideal work for a better life. Everyone here are satisfied with what they have. No competition leads to no good paying job. As such, you can't find people aged 20-30 here, as everyone are overseas working harder for a living.

5. Education is poor. 10 times here, only 1 time I find myself catching students in proper school uniform. Well, it's mostly for families who do not have the capability to send their children off to other places of Malaysia for education.

6. Number of thefts. There are pickpockets here, and thiefs every night trying to runmage houses. And worst thing is that, there are no police to "complain" to! So if you are the unlucky target of the day, there goes all your belongings ):

Okay, this post is getting kinda draggy, its time for me to sign off and away. Bye! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home